Chocolate Covered Christmas ~ Day 6
When I discovered this recipe for chocolate sugar cookies on Sweetapolita, I knew I had to try it. I make sugar cookies all of the time but I had never made chocolate sugar cookies. Once I tried them, I couldn't wait to include them in Chocolate Covered Christmas. They are delicious and so unique. I dressed them up for the holidays but you can make them any time of the year in any shape!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until fluffy and pale, about 5 minutes,
- Beat egg whites until just combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Add vanilla and blend.
- Remove 1/2 of dough from bowl, make a ball, and then flatten to form a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Chill both discs of dough for about 45 minutes.
- Take out one disc and remove plastic wrap. Place on top of a large piece of parchment paper.
- Roll dough until it is about 1/4" thick. The dough will be a little tough to roll until it softens up.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slide parchment paper and dough onto a board and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper leaving about 2" between cookies.
- Place baking sheet with cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake until cookie edges are just crisp, about 12-15 minutes.
- Cool sheets on wire racks for 10 minutes, then gently remove cookies and place on wire racks to finish cooling.
Cookies may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks.They also freeze well in an airtight container.